Booking Events: Skype or In-Person
I am working on another book, but schedule a certain amount of time each month for talking to classes about Columbine. (After three years, I've had stop doing book clubs, so I can get my next book done.)
Skype and in-person events are summarized below, followed by "How To Book" instructions:
Until summer 2012, I was doing complimentary Skype sessions with college and high school classes. Regretably, I've had to supsend them for a few years until I finish my next book. I look forward to doing them again at some point. Thanks to all the great students and teachers who participated. I learned more than I ever imagined from you. Here's the basics of how they work. Sessions run:
50 minutes for classes (college or high school)
There is some flexibility and we'll try to accommodate your needs
(Students or club members often ask if it's OK to connect on Facebook, etc. afterward. Yes, of course.)
School Assemblies and Teacher Training
Dave in person
Most student events are all-school assemblies, and last 60-90 minutes, with half that devoted to Q&A. This can be flexible, and/or broken into two groups. Topics can include Overcoming Adversity, Combating Teen Depression, School Safety, Tolerance, Writing, and the Story of Columbine.
Teacher in-service trainings usually last 60-90 minutes, including Q&A.
Events require modest expenses, and an honorarium. See booking information below and ask about the academic discount.
Dave will sign books after the event for no additional charge. Most local bookstores or Barnes & Noble will handle sales for no fee. They will bring the books and the clerk. They just need a table and an electrical outlet. Another option is for schools to purchase books in advance at a volume discount, and sell them, using the proceeds as a fundraiser.
Recent high school appearance (March 2011):
How To Book
Skype or in-person
- Email Cory Leadbeater to discuss: email@example.com
- Dave's initial Skype events each month are complimentary. Additional sessions can be added for a small fee.
- In-person events require modest expenses (under $500 for most cities), and an honorarium. Dave wants to support students and instructors, so ask about an academic discount.
- Short videos by Dave, designed for classroom or book clubdiscussions
- Reader's questions at Oprah.com (Designed for book clubs—also make great term paper topics.)
- Columbine Instructors/Teacher's Guide (Also great for book club leaders. In-depth questions.)
- The 3-minute intro video/trailer (below) is a great tool for getting students, colleagues or club members interested.