It might be rude to express myself here without a proper introduction. I'm preparing an introduction post, but I am so thrilled about this book project I had to post here right now !
So please, forgive me.
I want a BBM book, but what I don't get from the posts here is what kind of book you're aiming for ?
The first post says "analysis, characters, plot, themes... all the collective wisdom of this community" and then later on it seems people want "personal stories".
There's more than enough material for a book, and thinking of it, we could even make many books...
So I think we have to decide what the book is gonna be : the material we're gonna use and the message we want from the book.
The material :
1. from the fans on this forum :
people's reactions to the movie
people's analysis of the movie
a mix of it
can we pick from other forums as well ? (there are great analysis on imdb as well)
2. from the internet and the media :
critiques of the movie (opinions/analysis), articles about the phenomenon
We could also contemplate doing interviews of scholars / social activists / movie professionnals to complement the book, but obviously we already have enough material here.
My ideas for the book(s) :
"The BBM guide" :
- symbols (the characters names, the 4 elements, the colors, ...)
- structure : parallels, black fades, camera moves
- characters arcs (scenarist point of view? ), main themes, conversations BBM should start
- what's on the screen and what's not ("Jack I swear",Jack bashed or not) :
you are the movie, the music / absence of it, open interpretation
all the characters defects : the real edge of BBM
- classical references : broke-back, the bruddershaft, Enea an didon, the ministering angel,
garden of Eden....
- timeline of their life (from the book/screenplay/movie) + timeline on BBM (moon)
- list of locations : the tourist guide (lol) + road map from childress to riverton (some people are not good in geography and don't realise how long that road is...I didn't at first)
- list of awards in the end
The BBM guide shows the layers/different angles to watch the movie, enriches it.
Anything that made people go "I didn't see it that way" or "oh I didn't notice that, I'll have to go see it again" should be
reported and belongs here
Maybe some of it would be on the DVD commentary. We should check with Focus Features, or wait for the DVD to come out maybe ?
"Why women love Brokeback Mountain too"
- portraits of women : Alma, Alma Jr, Lureen, Cassie, Jack's mom and their point of view, how they brng love to the movie too.
- the love story
- it helps they're hunks : women like to watch men doing it too... (I am a women and I've read very interesting discussion about this specific point, and how women sexuality is relevant to BBM)
- souvenirs of Brokeback Mountain : fan reactions to the movie / BBM legacy
It could just as well fit into a book with all perspectives...
I'm not trying to put women in a separate camp and take a distance from the gay themes.
"Brokeback Mountain : have you been up there ?"
- reactions to the movie
- the media coverage / zeitgeist
- the Oscar's reactions : never seen before (here I'd like to explain to the ones who don't
LOVE brokeback, why we feel so personal about it, why reactions are so sharp -- it's not about why it lost, because if think it's and endless debate still going on)
- the positive actions (thank you postcards, ad in variety and this book....), bringing people together, urge to gather to share the feelings, internet explosion
- conclusion : the future : what stays with us from BBM (short responses from fans, Ang Lee's oscar speech...)
This is all about the fans : what we felt, who we are, what we're doing, and why.
It's all about love and thank you, personal views of the movie.
"no just a gay cowboy movie"
-- introduction : their reason to bring BBM to life
Annie Proulx : rural homophobia, Ang Lee : wanted to know why it made him cry, Jake : greatest
we already have so many different views here (don't have to go too deep, just quotes from interviews).
-- the closet : Mendelson's article is perfect here.
-- why it's different from other so called "gay movies". Gay fans reactions here : how this is their movie, the masculine type vs. the feminine type, etc...
-- the love story : universal ? Ennis and Jack archetypes, how this is not only a gay movie
And then I get mixed up from here, but the book should end up with
-- the effect on people / the psychologie : a force of change, a mirror (fans reactions here again)
It's a mix between fans reactions and media coverage of the movie/phenomenon.
It's supposed to state BBM is a cultural phenomen, is different from what's been done before, and has impacted society.
"the BBM Advocate"
This forum is well moderated, but from my experience out there on the net, the fans have been facing constant attacks against BBM. This book would be a sort of summary of what we've been going through, as well as a support for people who want to defend their love of the movie. This could definitely boost up fans morale !
In my mind it would be any objection I've heard about BBM, from the silly ones to the harsh ones (not the harshest ones though) followed by the well written answers fans have come up to on the boards.
I've made a list of the objections I hear daily, and there's material enough, IMO.
Example of objections : "Jack is a sexual predator", "It's long and boring", " no love, only lust", and on and on..... and there are funny one as well like "Jack was mean to the sheep" (lol)
Of course instead of making these as different books, they could make chapters of a same book.
But that would a long book, don't you think ?
I think the material is HUGE, even if we only stick to this forum, and we need to know where we're going....
So these were my ideas for the next book on BBM.
Thank you for your time, and sorry about my poor English (I'm French).
Right now I only have internet access at work, but in a couple of weeks I should have it at home too.
I have plenty of time to dedicate to this project, so let me know if I can be part of it!