The Ultimate Brokeback Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2014, 01:15:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
ULTIMATE BROKEBACK GUIDE
Our obsessive guide to the heartbreaking yet oddly universal story of two gay cowboys in love

Meet the authors and volunteers who put together "Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film" and order your book.
* Home Help Login Register
+  davecullen.com forums
|-+  OUR COMMUNITY
| |-+  Hot Topics (Moderator: killersmom)
| | |-+  News and Current Events - 2013 to 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 168 Go Down Print
Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2013 to 2014  (Read 75627 times)
Lyle (Mooska)
Obsessed

« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »

So we know what we're talking about, perhaps this article would be in order:

Questions and Answers on Anti-Gay Legislation in Russia

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/story.html
Lyle (Mooska)
Obsessed

« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2013, 08:27:44 AM »

And a sampling of headline stories from the past two days:

Russia Anti-Gay Bill: Russia Passes Radical Family Values Bill
FIFA asks Russia to explain anti-gay law
For Sochi's Sake, NBC Can't Ignore Russia's Anti-Gay Laws
Protests, boycott calls as anger grows over Russia anti-gay laws
Pat Buchanan defends Putin on Russia's new anti-gay laws
The Battle Over Russia's Anti-Gay Law
Russia's Anti-Gay Law Sparks Backlash
Russian Sports Official Defends Anti-Gay Law, Compares Gays To Nazis
Russia's anti-gay law inspires new play at King's Head Theatre
fritzkep
German Louisiana Virginia Dude
Global Moderator
Obsessed

Wie geht's, y'all?

« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2013, 02:17:55 PM »

So fascinating to have Buchanan and others praising the leader of the Evil Empire. St Ronald must be shaking his head on his heavenly throne.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."
morrobay
Quiet Storm
Obsessed

...suspended above ordinary affairs...

« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2013, 04:38:05 PM »

Watching female skaters and gymnasts doing their thing while wearing burquas or chadors would definitely make for some high-class entertainment.  Even in a country where they could get by dressed basically like Amish women, it would be beyond hilarious.

UAE's first female figure skater - Zahra Lari

"When was the last time the international community did more than hold our coats?" L/O 15/01
oilgun
Obsessed

« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »

American Runner Dedicates Moscow Silver Medal
To His Gay Friends Amid Russia's Anti-Gay Crackdown

by Tony Manfred Aug. 14, 2013

American track and field star Nick Symmonds has become the first athlete to  criticize Russia's new anti-gay
laws while competing on Russian soil.   

"I disagree with their laws and I disagree with their views," he told reporters.

http://www.insider.com/nick-symmonds

Way to go, Nick!

Good to know he didn't get fined, it should encourage Olympic athletes to make statements as well.

“There had always been something strange about the child …” - The Bad Seed
Marge_Innavera
Obsessed

Voted for Michelle's husband.

« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2013, 06:45:36 AM »

UAE's first female figure skater - Zahra Lari

Nice outfit!  I stand corrected.

"We are nuttier than Iran, and they've got pistachios up the arse."
Marge_Innavera
Obsessed

« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2013, 06:48:55 AM »

This article points out that archeological finds have often been discovered in odd ways.   This 12th century discovery in Germany involved a badger:

"A badger living in the countryside near the town of Stolpe recently uncovered a remarkable site: the 12th-century burial ground of eight people, two of whom were apparently Slavic warlords.

"Two sculptors who live in the area had been watching a badger digging a large sett (den). Upon closer examination, they noticed a pelvic bone inside the sett. 'We pushed a camera into the badger's sett and took photos by remote control,' Hendrikje Ring, one of the sculptors, told Der Spiegel. 'We found pieces of jewelry, retrieved them and contacted the authorities.' "

http://news.yahoo.com/dig-badger-unearths-medieval-treasure-113529491.html

The story stated that the historical period was a transitional one;  "It highlights the time of upheaval when the rule of the Slavic tribes was coming to an end."

tfferg
Obsessed

« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2013, 07:15:41 AM »

Historic ruling: Judge orders anti-gay Scott Lively to stand trial for crimes against humanity

Extremist anti-gay US pastor is accused of engineering the Uganda 'Kill The Gays' bill, saying LGBT people are the 'new Nazis' and recommending Russia's 'gay propaganda' laws
15 AUGUST 2013 | BY JOE MORGAN

For the first time, a federal US judge has ruled a persecution of LGBT people is a crime against humanity.

This sets a precedent ensuring the fundamental human rights of LGBTI people are protected under international law.

It comes as a Ugandan LGBTI advocacy organization filed a lawsuit against prominent US anti-gay extremist Scott Lively.

Accused of helping to play a part in the persecution, arrest and murder of gay people in Uganda, Lively’s lawyers requested to dismiss the lawsuit.

Michael Ponsor, the US District Judge in Springfield, Maryland, said: ‘Widespread, systematic persecution of LGBTI people constitutes a crime against humanity that unquestionably violates international norms.’

‘The history and current existence of discrimination against LGBTI people is precisely what qualifies them as a distinct targeted group eligible for protection under international law.

‘The fact that a group continues to be vulnerable to widespread, systematic persecution in some parts of the world simply cannot shield one who commits a crime against humanity from liability.’

The lawsuit states Lively collaborated with key Ugandan government officials and religious leaders that allegedly resulted in the introduction of the ‘Kill The Gays’ bill.

The founder of Abiding Truth Ministries, Lively has made a career of stirring up anti-gay feelings in the USA and across the world.

He co-authored The Pink Swastika, which suggests ‘homosexuals were the true inventors of Nazism and the guiding force behind many Nazi atrocities’ and the rainbow flag is a symbol of the ‘end times’.

In 2007, Lively also toured 50 cities in Russia where he is accused of recommending a ban on anti-gay propaganda.

Frank Mugisha, director of Sexual Minorities Uganda, said: ‘Today’s ruling is a significant victory for human rights everywhere but most especially for LGBTI Ugandans who are seeking accountability from those orchestrating our persecution.’

While the court battle is certainly not over, it will allow the Ugandan group to seek justice for what they believe Lively has done.

[snip]

- See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/historic-ruling-judge-orders-anti-gay-scott-lively-stand-trial-crimes-against-humanity150813#sthash.AGkSCB1V.dpuf
Paul029
Obsessed

« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2013, 07:26:03 AM »

Chinese zoo's 'African lion' exposed when dog substitute barks

A Chinese zoo's supposed "African lion" was exposed as a fraud when the dog used as a substitute started barking.

The zoo in the People's Park of Luohe, in the central province of Henan, replaced exotic exhibits with common species, according to the state-run Beijing Youth Daily.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-15/hairy-dog-disguised-as-lion/4890386

...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...
Paul029
Obsessed

« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »

I do wonder why that reminds me of all the hoo-haa about Edward Snowden being on board President Morales’ private jet.    

A “plot device” worthy of the venerable WSG himself, it would appear...

“Things are seldom what they seem,
Skim milk masquerades as cream;
Highlows pass as patent leathers;
Jackdaws strut in peacock's feathers.”

...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...
Marge_Innavera
Obsessed

« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2013, 07:56:12 AM »

Despite desperate efforts at CPR, California's Prop 8 is officially dead.

SAN FRANCISCO -- The California Supreme Court refused Wednesday to revive Proposition 8, ending the last remaining legal challenge to same-sex marriage in the state.

Meeting in closed session, the state high court rejected arguments by ProtectMarriage, Proposition 8’s sponsors, that only an appellate court could overturn a statewide law. . . .

In its challenge before the state’s highest court, ProtectMarriage argued that a single judge lacked the authority to overturn a state constitutional amendment. The group also contended that Walker’s injunction applied to two counties at most and that state officials had overstepped their authority by ordering county clerks throughout California to issue same-sex marriage licenses.

State officials countered that the challenge was a veiled attempt to persuade a state court to interfere with a federal judge’s order in violation of the U.S. Constitution.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-california-supreme-court-prop-8-20130814,0,1311803.story

Lyle (Mooska)
Obsessed

« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:33 AM »

The California Supreme Court refused Wednesday to revive Proposition 8, ending the last remaining legal challenge to same-sex marriage in the state.

Like a soft landing...a gentle breeze...you know how soothing that sounds...ending...ending the last remaining
legal challenge
...let it silently blow away into the dustbin of history...

After 4 years, 9 months, 10 days...

...that thorn in my side has finally been removed!

(I always have a happy thought that when we had our Brokie gathering
in Los Angeles in 2008, marriage equality was in effect!)
Lyle (Mooska)
Obsessed

« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »

I do wonder why that reminds me of all the hoo-haa about Edward Snowden being on board
President Morales’ jet.

I wonder, too.

By the way, in the spirit of TIC--tongue in cheek:    Tongue

...don't make me work so hard, Paul!  While I was familiar, albeit vaguely,
with the lines you posted, the WSG initials didn't ring a bell, nor did typing them into
google help as what came up was W. S. G. Bateman (Author of Australia's Maritime
Bridge Into Asia) or the Wage Slave's Glossary. But eventually I figured out it was
W.S. Gilbert of Gilbert & Sullivan.

It's enough that I keep having to figure out Internet Acronyms because people can't
type whole words anymore much less trying to figure out the initials of authors, especially
ones usually paired with another person!  INCYDK, The Internet Dictionary has nearly 10,000
acronyms listed! You know, like LOL.  Anyway, No SNH, though I hope my post isn't TLTR.

And in the DID YOU KNOW THIS department:

The TOP TEN slang look ups currently in the Internet Dictionary today are:
(and how many did anyone know?  Me? I actually knew "one" of them!)

1.  DIKY
2.  WBU
3.  HRU
4.  HBU
5.  WBY
6.  HBY
7.  KMSL
8.  TTYS
9.  CIA
10. PREE   

Also, FYI, Re: Internet "Slang Look Ups"
Internet slang is also known as computer slang, slang terms,
acronyms, abbreviations and computer lingo.

http://www.internetslang.com/

Now, FWIW, in deference to WSG, should we "talk about the weather"...?
Lyle (Mooska)
Obsessed

« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »

Nick Symmonds needs a gold medal instead of a silver, to match his hair!
Lyle (Mooska)
Obsessed

« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2013, 12:07:39 PM »

Russian Jews outraged after Stephen Fry compared gay propaganda ban to Nazi Germany
Link:  http://rt.com/news/russia-jews-fry-comment-396/

Russia’s Jewish community has lashed out at British actor Stephen Fry after he compared the country’s “gay propaganda” ban to Hitler’s persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany. Fry, an openly gay Jewish-British writer, actor, and television host, urged UK Prime Minister David Cameron and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to boycott the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. The move was in response to a recently adopted Russian law which prohibits the propaganda of homosexuality among minors.

In an open letter to Cameron and the IOC, he accused Russia of “making scapegoats of gay people, just as Hitler did Jews.”  The actor also stated that President Putin “is eerily repeating the insane crime” of Hitler, “only this time against LGBT Russians.”

Russia’s Jewish community said it is outraged by Fry’s rhetoric, calling it a provocation.  “Unfortunately, yet again we see people attempting to use sacred memory about the genocide against the Jews and the Holocaust for their own purposes,” Russia’s Chief Rabbi, Berl Lazar, told ITAR-TASS on Monday. He believes that such cynicism insults the memory of millions of people who were murdered during World War II “because of their nationality and faith.”   The Chief Rabbi emphasized that the gay propaganda ban is in no way aimed at violating the rights of LGBT individuals, but rather serves to protect children “who are open to any kind of influence” from issues surrounding homosexuality.   (See Link for more.)

We've seen this reaction from African American groups who don't want their struggle compared
to any GLBT struggle.

The question is, are these groups being homophobic or do they really see no difference or
are they being territorial, as in "my struggle is worse than your struggle?"  Do people really
not see correllating similarities?

Would these same Jeiwish groups in Russia have objected if Stephen Fry had framed it this way
instead?

"...at British actor Stephen Fry after he compared the country’s 'gay propaganda' ban to Hitler’s persecution of Gays in Nazi Germany."

When Jewish groups or African American groups want to separate their struggles with those of the
GLBT community or to distance themselves because they think it tarnishes their own history or they
can't conceive of any comparisons, I always try to point out that they are denying the gay Jeiwsh
people or the gay black people within their own struggles, because it's the dignity of humanity you
are denying if you cannot see any comparisons, gay people can be found within all of the other groups
who have been struggling for thier dignity throughout the world.  To deny an individual within the
group is to deny the whole, the way I see it.  Are we not all Spartacus?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 168 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

go to The Ultimate Brokeback Guide go to The Ultimate Brokeback Cafe Press Collection Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines go to The Ultimate Brokeback Amazon Collection