The Ultimate Brokeback Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 04:18:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
ULTIMATE BROKEBACK GUIDE
Our obsessive guide to the heartbreaking yet oddly universal story of two gay cowboys in love

Meet the authors and volunteers who put together "Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film" and order your book.
* Home Help Login Register
+  davecullen.com forums
|-+  OUR COMMUNITY
| |-+  Our Campaigns (Moderator: Ellen (tellyouwhat))
| | |-+  Our DVD Donation campaign: help put the DVD in a Library near you
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Our DVD Donation campaign: help put the DVD in a Library near you  (Read 157342 times)
NWWaguy
Thank you not just for me but for all those people struggling with love, which is all of us. Jake/MTVAwards
Obsessed

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 10:26:14 PM »

My experience with public libraries indicates that virtually all libraries carry r or even x rated stuff.  It's simply kept in the stacks or elsewhere and must be asked for.

LOL You have NO idea what I got from the Tacoma Public Library a few years ago.  Darn, I had to return it!

In my opinion, we should give them the film WE saw.  Most will take it, I think.  Do, however, get their assurance they'll accept it before you send it.

Remember, librarians are on the front lines for our First Amendment rights and they do one helluva job!  Heck, Clooney, Sarandan, Moore, Spielbeg for all their ranting and raving have the right and freedom to peddle their stuff and I don't know anyone who's trying to stop them.  They just have to get US to pay money to see it! ROFLAO

'You can't swim across the river unless you let go of the bank' ... Avon Long (Sportin' Life in 'Porgy and Bess' and popular Cotton Club artist) 
brendisch
Expert

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 10:52:57 PM »

i was picturing the PG edit--ennis climbs into the tent and lies down, jack grabs his hand....then suddenly it's the next morning and ennis is riding off on his horse.

Something to keep in mind when inquiring at a library -
ask them if they even carry "R" rated movies - a lot of public libraries don't

my biggest concern with the library donations is people getting excited about finding a library to donate to but the library won't distribute the movie.

Please make sure the donation will be utilized.

Most "R" rated movies make a "PGish" edit for airplanes.  I wonder if they did that for Brokeback.
If they did, perhaps there's a way to get access to the PG version for our project.
kula
Getting Acquainted

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 12:18:27 AM »

I don't know if an edited DVD exists either, but donating a PG/PG-13 version wouldn't be a bad idea. As long as they only edit swear words and some of the first tent scene.

I know that the first tent scene is an important aspect of J&E's relationship, in how "realistic" the raw passion is portrayed.  But I'm thinking of the young men and women that are a too embarrassed to check out the DVD and take it to the front counter.  (I know I would have been even at 18 yrs old) Maybe having a PG-13 rating on it won't make them feel as uncomfortable? I don't know.  But the second tent scene should definitely stay untouched. Hugging and kissing softly never hurt anyone.  Smiley

Hmm... not sure about the tire-iron scene.  That is a bit graphic, but as they say, Americans are more hung up on sex than violence.

Anyway, I don't think the haunting effect of the movie should be affected from a few alterations in the first tent scene. Who knows, there might be some libraries that say "no" to the original DVD but say "yes" to the edited one.  Better to have any copy of the movie than none at all.

Great idea for a campaign. Hope the donations will help give others a chance to be moved by this masterpiece.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 12:27:58 AM by kula » Logged
spaino
Experienced

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 07:00:21 AM »

Can we internationalise this? The following is a list of UK Public Libraries:

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/ac940/weblibs.html

I will be sending some DVDs to some libraries in the UK but can't afford to cover them all. Any other UK-based volunteers?

If you're interested, leave a message in this thread and PM me.

Darren

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 08:15:49 AM by spaino » Logged

134 minutes that will stay with you the rest of your life
Marge_Innavera
Obsessed

Voted for Michelle's husband.

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 08:29:03 AM »

I just emailed our local library asking about donations.  I did not yet say 'what' I wanted to donate.  . . .You can phone or even visit in person to get their system on donations.  We can think about donating the book to screen and the short story, even the CD, as well. 

Great suggestion. Thanks!   Grin   I'll also look into who is on our local library board, and when they meet: attending a board meeting as a citizen (tho not a town resident) might be helpful.

Our town just built a beautiful new library a year or two ago; not a bad achievement for a town of less than 3,000.  It isn't yet as well stocked as it might be, so now might be a good time.

"We are nuttier than Iran, and they've got pistachios up the arse."
Cameron816
Experienced

I 'as probably no fun anyways, was I?"

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 08:45:26 AM »

Are there any talks of a PG-13 rated DVD coming?

My small personal tribute to BBM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GeGd29rJoY
peteinportland
Obsessed

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 01:12:08 PM »

Great news. We have a team for the DVD campaign:

Team Leader is Cactusgal

Records Keeper is Exlibris (keeps the master list up to date)

Member Support Team Leader is Sharyn (walks members through making the donations)

PR Team Leader is Killersmom (press and contacting other sites/orgs).

We will need some other volunteers to help out with this. If interested PM cactusgal.

Later today, we will have detailed instructions for how to donate. Thanks to all of you.

BTW, if you have already picked a library (or more than one) please PM your choices to exlibris. Thank you!
NWWaguy
Thank you not just for me but for all those people struggling with love, which is all of us. Jake/MTVAwards
Obsessed

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 03:40:55 PM »

Help!

Can you post links to PM the crew on this?  I may be obsessed, but I don't know how to find individual members links if they're not on the posting to which I am replying.

Thanks and hooorah! to the volunteers!

'You can't swim across the river unless you let go of the bank' ... Avon Long (Sportin' Life in 'Porgy and Bess' and popular Cotton Club artist) 
peteinportland
Obsessed

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 05:20:47 PM »

You just go to your site message mail box and hit new message and put their user name in the send to box. Just like an email. You get to your mailbox in the top left corner by clicking on the line where it tells you how many messages you have (even if zero).

Hope this helps!

Help!

Can you post links to PM the crew on this?  I may be obsessed, but I don't know how to find individual members links if they're not on the posting to which I am replying.

Thanks and hooorah! to the volunteers!
peteinportland
Obsessed

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 06:12:08 PM »

Our Missionary Project--Come Join Us

Our newest campaign (the Missionary Project) is to place as many BBM DVD's in libraries and other places as we possibly can.  We especially want to target rural or smaller libraries which may not have the resources of the larger ones.  We are asking the libraries to label our donations with "Donated by Members of the Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://davecullen.com/forum which, after viewing, will give those who need it a place for support.  Our message, as always, is a positive one of the beauty of love between two people which cannot be denied. 

There are three ways you can help:

Method One

Do it yourself! Get a warm and fuzzy feeling! Here are the steps:

1.  Select a library - One of your choosing or go to http://www.pubiclibraries.com
     (We suggest a rural or smaller library which may not have the budget for a copy.) Look at the master list thread to see if another
     member has already selected that library.

2.  Call the library and ask it they will accept a donation of the BBM DVD.  If so, discuss the following with them:
     a.  How the DVD will be delivered (by hand, Amazon or other)
     b.  Ask them to apply a sticker on the DVD once it arrives which states "Donated by the Members of the Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://davecullen.com/forum

3.  Send a PM to Exlibris or post to the thread (Our Missionary Campaign found under Forum Events and Campaigns on the main page).  We need to track the following info:
     a.  If donation accepted:  city/state/country of library
     b.  Donation not accepted:  same info + reason not accepted (so we can address these issues later

4.  Place your DVD order with Amazon via our site or order/buy through another means.  If you order through our site, we will get 6% of the cost and it won't cost you a penny more.  Go to our main page and near the top on the right side you will see "Buy the DVD Through Us" in red. Amazon will ship gift orders anywhere you want.

5. Follow-up with the library once you believe DVD has arrived; it is important to remind them to place our identifying sticker on the DVD.

6.  If you have any problems along the way, PM either Sharyn (member support) or CactusGal (team leader).

7.  You've just help spread Brokeback Mountain's message that love between two people is beautiful and shouldn't be denied.

Method Two

Donate the cost of a DVD to us and volunteers will handle the process of sending the DVD to a library.

To donate go to http://www.davecullen.com/brokebackmountain/adcampaign.html

A warm and fuzzy still awaits you but we take away the hassle!

Method Three

Choose a library in another country or an organization anywhere in the world. This is for those who live in other countries or for members who want to donate to GLBT organizations in other countires or in the USA. Simply follow the same steps in Method One above. Warm and fuzzy feelings can reach you too!

You can also use all three methods to make the most impact! We will be asking other sites and organizations to join in our campaign and announcing this campaign to the press worldwide. Help spread the message of BBM! Thanks for all of your support.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 11:46:10 PM by peteinportland » Logged
peteinportland
Obsessed

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 09:55:19 PM »

Sigh. I guess it is PUBLIC libraries we want to send DVDs to, eh?

We sent to a link for PUBIC libraries. All that time on the eyelashes thread I guess.

Here is the correct link:

www.publiclibraries.com
Sharyn
Obsessed

I've this crazy old notion that calls me sometimes

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 09:59:18 PM »

Sigh. I guess it is PUBLIC libraries we want to send DVDs to, eh?

We sent to a link for PUBIC libraries. All that time on the eyelashes thread I guess.

Here is the correct link:

www.publiclibraries.com

it is a popular thread!!--  get's us good-- just like the movie!   Wink   

I miss you Jackie!
Dave Cullen
Author/Journalist
Administrator
Obsessed

Founder, Editor

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2006, 11:58:44 PM »

Can we internationalise this? The following is a list of UK Public Libraries:

DEFinitely. In fact we are especially interested in getting them to places where it will be hardest for people to buy the DVD or afford it, or acquire it for whatever reason.

To that end, we are particularly interested in rural areas of any country, and countries particularly in need.

Of course we're not limiting ourselves to those areas. In the UK I'm guessing parts of Scotland and the midlands might be particularly in need. Or not--feel free to correct me.
michaelflanagansf
Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
Team Cullen
Obsessed

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 01:32:43 AM »

Okay - I'm leaping in here and will try to address a few issues.  I'm a librarian at a mid-sized suburban library in the SF bay area.  A few things occur to me right away:

1)  Many libraries will already be ordering Brokeback Mountain.  In my system (Peninsula Library System, we cover San Mateo County - plsinfo.org ) we already have the book (the short story from Scribner - 19 copies in our system), the soundtrack (10 copies), the book on tape of Close Range (5 copies), the book on cd of Close Range (3 copies), the book on CD of Brokeback Mountain (3 copies), Close Range in Large Type (4 copies) and a Scribner Anthology of Short Stories that includes the short story (2 copies).  Oh and someone ordered the Script to Screenplay too  Wink.  All of this to say that in many major urban areas we'll already be covering this - you can ask and I'm sure the librarian who does collection development (that's what we usually call it) for the video collection would be interested in another copy.

1a)  Most library systems are on the internet.  You might want to take a look to see if they have the book, etc. - it will give you a gage to see if the materials are already in local libraries.

2)  Materials walk away from our libraries all the time.  Sadly it's not always people who are trying to 'censor' the collection - things get lost and (strangely enough) people steal from libraries.  I buy the CDs for the library I work in and things go missing all the time.  As for DVDs Star Wars. Kill Bill, Ghost in the Shell - all kinds of things go missing.  So actually this is a good reason to get a second or third copy in a library (and you can use this in your pitch to the librarian).

3)  The Public Library Association is the branch of the ALA that deals with Public Libraries.  Most library website addresses should end in .org not .com - I don't know that that earlier website was, but the website for the public library association is:
http://www.pla.org/ala/pla/pla.htm

4)  Libraries and librarians do not for the most part censor our collections.  There are regional differences in this - if you're in a rural area a good way to figure this out would be to get on the website for a local newspaper and see if there have been any articles about this in the last few years (as well as just looking at what is in the local collection online).  For the most part we separate our childrens and adult collection and this covers the whole question of censorship - if you're a parent and you let your child get things in the adult section - well, you're letting your child do that.  We don't generally interfere with that.  Again local policys may vary.

This is just my take - I'm a reference librarian - I buy materials (and I try to represent a wide variety of opinions in my library - we like to think of it as a marketplace of ideas), but I don't get involved with circulation (aside from looking at statistics to see what is popular).

Hope this helps.  If you have a question ask and I'll try to get back to you promptly - or you can pm me.

Michael

I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer
Marge
Getting Acquainted

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 02:53:38 AM »

This is a lovely idea. I don't want to give to a library near me, as I live in Seattle. So how do I give to the tinest,
backwoods library in the USA? some place where my gift would really make a difference?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 37 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

go to The Ultimate Brokeback Guide go to The Ultimate Brokeback Cafe Press Collection Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines go to The Ultimate Brokeback Amazon Collection