The Ultimate Brokeback Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 11:16:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
ULTIMATE BROKEBACK GUIDE
Our obsessive guide to the heartbreaking yet oddly universal story of two gay cowboys in love

Meet the authors and volunteers who put together "Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film" and order your book.
* Home Help Login Register
+  davecullen.com forums
|-+  OUR COMMUNITY
| |-+  Forum News & Updates
| | |-+  The Daily Sheet Archives (Moderator: Ellen (tellyouwhat))
| | | |-+  The Daily Sheet April 17 - May 1, 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Daily Sheet April 17 - May 1, 2008  (Read 8957 times)
Stilllearning
Daily Sheet Staff
Obsessed

« on: April 19, 2008, 07:07:39 AM »

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Profile: Mule26

That's me...

...and that's how I see the world.

When I was asked whether I would like to have my profile in TDS, my first reaction was: NO!  Shocked Compared to most of the forum members I’m a rather boring person: I don’t have any great thoughts to share nor has my life been changed fundamentally by BBM. But then I thought there might be other people like me here - so why not give it a try (if only to make anyone else look interesting in comparison to me…).

I’m 35 years old, live in Switzerland and work as a translator (my native language is German… so forgive me if my English sounds a bit weird every now and then). I love horses, languages, reading, music, and nature.

I saw BBM about two years ago and found my way here a couple of months later… and what a relief it was to find other people who have been affected by that film the way I have! For the first couple of weeks I spent many, many hours reading all the threads discussing the film and individual scenes. I’ve never posted there myself as I’m not as eloquent as most other posters. In fact, the only thread I’ve ever posted in is Planet Heath. It has, after all, been because of Heath that I went to see BBM (and I’ll be forever grateful to him for that and for giving us Ennis). In the months before his death I hadn’t visited the forum as regularly as I used to but when he died, I knew where to come right away. As pathetic as it may sound, I honestly don’t know what would have happened to me, if I hadn’t had my fellow Heathens to share my grief with. His death has affected me in a way that I’d never have thought possible and on top of everything I also felt stupid for feeling that way about the “loss” of a person I never even knew. Talking to other people who feel the same way has made it a lot easier: Thanks to everyone on Planet Heath for making me feel a bit less stupid!

What’s your indulgence? Chocolate. Can’t live without it… I tried to go without it for a week once. Just to see if I could - but it turned out, I couldn’t. Halfway through the second day my workmates bought me some chocolate because I was in such a bad mood that they couldn’t bear it any longer. So I guess I’m an official chocolate junkie.

Currently listening to?
Lenny Kravitz - It’s Time For a Love Revolution, KT Tunstall - Drastic Fantastic, REM Accelerate… and, of course, the BBM soundtrack.

Currently reading?
Sarah Waters’ The Night Watch and Bill Bryson’s Down Under (I actually hate reading two books at the same time… but I couldn’t decide which one to read first.)

Last major purchase?
Plane ticket to Australia

What was your most embarrassing experience or the strangest situation that you found yourself in?
I’m so easily embarrassed I couldn’t even tell what was the most embarrassing situation…

Other than your parents, who has had the greatest influence on your life,
Pretty much everyone I let into my life has a big influence on me.

What do you know for sure?
Like so many others have said before: That I know nothing for sure and that nothing should be taken for granted.

Who is the one person that you would most want to see BBM and why?
I’d want all the world to see it and be touched by it!

Your favorite BBM scene?
SNIT (and any scene with Heath on a horse…)

What was your take-away message from BBM?  What affected you the most?
The obvious one: That fear shouldn’t keep you from doing the things that make you happy.

How to Support Adam's Walk to Beijing
in Memory of Heath

A friend of the Forum contacted Dave inviting us to support a cancer center in Melbourne, Australia. Seems that Adam Sutton, the real gay cowboy who was a friend of Heath's, is participating in the "Great Walk to Beijing" and is donating all funds he raises in Heath's name to the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Center.

Sutton build a reputation with his horseman skills – culminating in a stint as a wrangler for the movie 'Ned Kelly', where he also helped the actors with horsemanship skills. It was here that he met Heath Ledger – and established a unique connection that would resonate later with the release of Ledger’s movie Brokeback Mountain;" reports ABC.net.au.

Knowing how all of us feel about Heath, we thought that we could use the next 10 days to find out more about Adam, this Great Walk project, and participate with donations that will support Adam, memorialize Heath, and help in the cancer fight. It's a win-win-win!

Visit the Support Adam's Great Walk to Beijing in Memory of Heath thread for more information.

TDS ~ 2nd Anniversary!

The Daily Sheet has been an integral part of the forum for 2 years now. Born from a desire to have a common place for members to share in "What's Happening" - with Brokeback Mountain and with those who brought us the original story and the film adaptation - TDS serves as a source of news and information that is of interest to forum members. Since last year's anniversary issue, here are a few of the stories that TDS has featured:

Quote from: TDS-5-4-07
Beyond Brokeback--The First Copy Arrives!

A truck tops a ridge on a
lonely western highway...
Dave Cullen received the test-run copy of Beyond Brokeback and wrote in BrokeBook Fever about how satisfying it was to finally see the end result of all the months of work and dedication:

I got a nice little surprise in the mail, today--the first test-run copy of Beyond Brokeback. I tore the wrapping off quickly, cracked the binding and listened to it crackle. What a joyful little sound. Then I lifted it to my face and breathed in that wonderful new-book aroma. I'm not sure what I'm smelling, actually--is it the wood pulp reacting to the oxygen the first time the paper is exposed to air or the binding glue, or a combination of scents? Then I just held it back at arm's length and looked at it. It looked real. And beautiful.

TDS looks so professional in its presentation and curb appeal, and that's all thanks to our gifted and dedicated formatters gnash, Whiplash, and Denim girl who volunteer their talents to turn words and pictures into an inviting display for the readers .

Quote from: TDS-5-28-07

The second annual Brokeback BBQ is underway in Estes Park, Colorado, and there are plenty of photos for those of us who couldn't attend to enjoy, starting with the group's Thursday night dinner at Buckhorn Exchange in Denver.

Plenty of spectacular scenery at this summer's get-together, along with plenty of delicious-looking food and great company.

The "disorganized" group picture

Quote from: TDS-7-18-07

YouTube link of the day: Jake Gyllenhaal performing with Rufus Wainwright at the Gramercy Theatre in NYC on June 8.

With the addition of our proofreader Royandronnie, misspellings and punctuation can be corrected before TDS is posted, with word choice and sentence structure getting a once-over as well; we greatly appreciate all that you do!

Quote from: TDS-8-8-07
First Time Ever Presidential Forum to Address GLBT Issues

On Thursday evening, August 9, presidential candidates will gather in Los Angeles for a forum on issues affecting the lives of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in the United States.  The historic two-hour forum, moderated by Margaret Carlson, will be televised live on the Logo network.

2008 Democratic presidential candidates responding to the questionnaire include: Sen. Hillary Clinton, Sen. Barack Obama, Sen. John Edwards, Gov. Bill Richardson, Sen. Joe Biden, Sen. Chris Dodd, Rep. Dennis Kucinich and Senator Mike Gravel.
[/]

Quote from: TDS-9-10-07
Heath in Venice

Heath is currently at the Venice Film Festival, and the Press Association reported that he arrived alone and apparently not very happy after his split from Michelle Williams after three years. The account described him as looking "grim-faced, and spoke only briefly during a press conference for his new Bob Dylan film I'm Not There.  Williams, 26, also appears in the movie but did not accompany him to promote it."
Heath signing autographs at Venice
(posted by Roco in Planet Heath)

To those who submit articles: janjo, Michaelflanagansf, BayCityJohn, Marge_Innavera, and Jim Bond - we are grateful!  For everyone who gives us story ideas, post-of-the-day suggestions, and feedback on what's working and what needs improvement - your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Quote from: TDS-10-15-07
Ten Years Since Brokeback Mountain appeared in the New Yorker

tfmisc wrote:  All of us who were looking at Brokeback Mountain ten years ago certainly knew that something extraordinary had happened. But who could have guessed that something even more extraordinary would follow? Thank you, Annie Proulx, for this treasure.

Quote from: TDS-11-7-07

Finding Brokeback’s Deleted Scenes: Ten Scenes We May Never See

From FindingBrokeback.com

Oh that cutting room floor!  Film aficionados know that “outtakes” (deleted scenes) offer a unique window into a director’s creative thinking.  Every bit as significant as the included elements of a great film are those scenes which were deliberately and judiciously omitted from it.  Why were Brokeback Mountain scenes filmed at considerable trouble and expense, but then omitted from Ang Lee’s film?  What impact did those artistic decisions have upon the film as it was eventually released?

To KittyHawk who oversees the goings-on with TDS, among her other responsibilities as Projects Director, where would we be without you?

Quote from: TDS-11-26-07
Forum Post of the Day
By Marijke

Nope, not matching!

Compared to Heath's, Jake's shoes look so moderate  Cheesy

Quote from: TDS-12-14-07
December 9th -
Brokeback
Mountain's

2nd Anniversary

"I did not even attempt to try and get into that tiny Embarcadero Center Cinema (SF), which was one of the five premier theatres for Dec 09th.  It was sold out all week!  I waited until Dec. 16th when it opened in the surrounding areas (Berkeley, Oakland, Palo Alto, San Jose, Marin, etc.) and I saw it Friday night 12/16 in Berkeley.  The rest is history...and that's how come me end up here!  Grin" posts sfericsf.

And to all the editors over the last 2 years, TellYouWhat, Marge_Innavera, Elle_ann, CactusGal, kmich, and Stilllearning who have worked to produce an informative, interesting "sheet" - many thanks!

Quote from: TDS-1-26-08
A Loving Tribute to Heath Ledger

Man  Father  Brother  Son  Lover  Actor  Friend

1979 ~ 2008

Quote from: TDS-10-19-07

Artwork and poem by Janie_G

Four Years

Four years of longing,
Thinking, dreaming, wondering
If you remember.

Four years of wanting,
Wishing, hoping every day
To see you again.

Four years. Now holding
You so close  against my heart.
My little darlin'.

Quote from: TDS-1-27-08
Jackie ~ Paintedshoes

Our "honorary" Moderator, great friend, confidante, and Ambassador
By Adrian  

Quote from: TDS-6/13/07
From Annie Proulx

CactusGal recently sent a copy of Beyond Brokeback to Annie on behalf of all members of the Forum, and just received a beautiful card and very kind note in reply. "It is very humbling to see how many people have been moved by the story/film," Annie wrote. "Somewhere down the years the story/film will be seen as quaint and weird. Speed the day."

Quote from: TDS-9-17-07
Brokies In San Francisco

"If I had been told two years ago that I would have many new friends locally, across the U.S., and around the world; spend many hours each night on an internet message board; and fly to five gatherings in one year – all because I saw a movie – I would have said, 'You’re crazy,' ” Forum member ptannen wrote in the San Francisco Bay Times last Thursday. 
Saturday was the day to enjoy both cowboy skills and showmanship at the Best Buck In The Bay Gay Rodeo.  After the parade by the Color Guard came the "Wild Drag Race."  LoveEmBoys explains that "teams of 3 have to get a steer over a line, then put the one member of their team who is in Drag on top of the steer, and then drag the steer back across the line."

Visual Images: The Making of Brokeback Mountain

Buzz Image Group presents a wonderful short video on "The Making of Brokeback Mountain" where the viewer is able to see how these image-artists "create the effects" for their clients. For Brokeback Mountain we see how manipulation of the mountain ranges, sky, and of course - the sheep, helped to bring us the majesty of the mountain we see in the film.

Click HERE to see the video.

Exciting New Venture

Friends,

In order to perpetuate the spirit of BBM we would like to set up a Not-for-Profit Organization (NPO), perhaps a foundation, aimed at protecting and developing the heritage of BBM and at prolonging its effect indefinitely so that the story/film and their message are never forgotten and will continue making the world a better place for a long time to come. Actions, projects, publications etc. could be organized by the foundation itself and/or facilitated in the form of grants and support (e.g. volunteering) to appropriate individuals and organizations.

Not being location specific, the foundation would be accessible to Brokies and like-minded people worldwide, with possibilities of participation and a feeling of "belonging" for all, just like our beloved Dave Cullen (DC), Bettermost (BM), EnnisJack and Strike-me-Gyllen Forums.

This initiative is institutionally separate from these forums, at their request, for legal reasons, but it is in the same spirit and in close fraternity with them. We hope that the forums and the foundation can draw strength from each other and support each other, even if only informally. 

At this very early stage, we are seeking to build up a think tank and hoping to be able to gather about 20-25 dedicated people in order to set up a vision and the basis for a viable strategy. This ain’t no little thing and it will require quite a bit of hard work, so we would like to hear from people who have time, energy, plenty of ideas and ideally, but not necessarily, NPO experience. Once we have eased the way by getting over the first technical hurdles, we will post the results of our work so that everybody can participate as little or as much as they wish.

If interested, PM BayCityJohn or Mouk, if possible by May 4.

PS - Although we are posting this only on these forums at this stage, all Brokies and their friends are very welcome.  If you have questions or comments about this idea, join us in the New Venture thread for discussion.

The Primary Season

With the Pennsylvannia primary set for Tuesday, April 22nd, the Primary Season thread is buzzing with activity, as the nomination of the Democratic presidential candidate could hinge on PA's 158 pledged delegates.

Join the discussion and let us know what you think!

Concert Opportunity at August LA Gathering

Shawn Kirchner would like to offer a concert featuring songs from his new album during the L.A. forum gathering, Aug. 2 - 4. Please visit the Brokeback Mountain at the Samuel Goldwyn Theatre thread for all the details and join the discussion concerning your interest in attending, the cost, and the best time for the concert during what is sure to be, a fun-filled Brokie get-together.

Check out the album HERE.

Quote of the Day

History is indeed little more than the register of the crimes, follies and misfortunes of mankind.

~ Edward Gibbon (1737 - 1794) ~

From Photo Captioning Fun 3
By Mountain boy on Feb. 1st, 2006

And they lived happily ever after. The End.

Contributors: BrokenOkie, BayCityJohn, Tellyouwhat, Mountain Boy, mcnell1120, Whiplash, gnash, KittyHawk 

Calendar of Events

If you have ideas about initiating a gathering, go to Start Your Own Threads
and get the ball rolling to plan a get-together near you.

BBQ: Wyoming Roundup
June 1-7, 2008.

June 20 - 22nd - Oxford 08. 
Brokies in the UK

Gathering in Albany NY
July 4-6, 2008

Brokeback Mountain Screening in LA
August 4, 2008 at 7:30 P.M.

Let us know of any events you'd like listed here.

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Editors: Ellen (tellyouwhat), Dawn (Stilllearning)

Columnists: Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf, Marge_Innavera

Proofreader/Researchers: whiplash, gnash, denim girl

Proofreader and columnist: Royandronnie

Today's edition produced by Dawn (Stilllearning) email: Dawn@davecullen.com

Today's edition formatted and proofed by whiplash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.
When a new TDS is posted, you will be notified by email.

Previous issues of The Daily Sheet.

Response thread for The Daily Sheet.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 07:20:55 AM by Stilllearning » Logged
Stilllearning
Daily Sheet Staff
Obsessed

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 05:46:37 AM »

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day ~ Doing Our Part

“Earth Day is an annual event for people around the world to celebrate the earth and renew their commitment to building a safer, healthier and cleaner world for all of us,” explains  Earthday.net.

Here are some things each of us can do:

*Replace frequently used light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.

*Eliminate plastic bag usage - they are petroleum-based and take decades to break down. Instead, try reusable grocery bags, or ask for paper bags.  If you get plastic grocery bags, recycle.

*Car pool, use public transportation or drive a fuel-efficient car.

*Keep your tires properly inflated and change your car's air filter regularly to get better gas mileage.

*Run your dishwasher only when it’s full.

*Use recycled printer paper.

*Move your heater thermostat down two degrees in winter and up two degrees in the summer.

*Keep your water heater insulated and the thermostat no higher than 120°F.

*Clean or replace dirty air conditioner filters as recommended.

*Take shorter showers and use a low-flow showerhead - showers account for 2/3 of all water heating costs.

*Use cold water to wash your clothes.

*Buy locally, thereby reducing transportation energy.

*Recycle paper, plastic, cans and glass.

*Plant a tree - trees take in carbon dioxide and make clean air for us to breath.

*Buy energy efficient appliances.

*Weatherize and insulate your home, and consider double pane windows.

*Buy organic food because the chemicals used in modern agriculture pollute the water
supply, and require energy to produce.

Adam Sutton (centre) with Heath Ledger (R) and
Orlando Bloom (L) on the set of Ned Kelly.

Supporting Adam's Walk to Beijing
in Memory of Heath

Adam recently stopped walking long enough to send a message to the Forum. Judging from his blog and other walkers' comments, they are having a tough time of it - covering several miles a day with some of it at a 40-degree incline. The walk ends on April 29th so it's important to send much-needed messages of support and donations this week.

Visit the Support Adam's Great Walk to Beijing in Memory of Heath thread for more information or click HERE to donate.

On Brokeback Mountain Author Responds to Our Book Club
by tellyouwhat

"Like Brokeback Mountain, Atlas by artist Delmas Howe
renders the unspoken homoeroticism of the Cowboy explicit."

In case you haven't looked into the book club, you should know we have discussed everything from men-loving-men in Greek pastoral settings (where the centaurs roam), the tradition of shepherds going back "out to the sheep" to delight in the simple pleasures of same-sex love, to whether or not beans are conducive to Jack's and Ennis's love-life.  Or at least their sense of humor. 

We have also had a few e-mails from Eric Patterson, the author of the book, commenting on some of our posts.  Most recently, forum members disagreed on whether Ennis knows Jack was the victim of homophobic violence, and wondered why the author seemed to accept this fact rather than acknowledge that Jack may have died in an accident.  Eric Patterson sent a detailed explanation why, in his view, an essential aspect of the story is that it addresses homophobic violence.  Here is an excerpt from his post:

Author Eric Patterson:  "Given the ways in which the text and film present Jack's death, it's certainly possible to respond to it as an accident, and to respond to Ennis's perception of it as a murder as a manifestation of his own internalized homophobia.  For me, though, a number of factors in both versions work against such a response, the most important including the representation of Lureen, which suggests that she is lying; the intense contempt and barely repressed rage of Jack's father; the information he provides about Jack's relationship with another man; and the inarticulate suffering of his mother.  As someone profoundly familiar with the ways in which a homophobic family struggles with truths that are too excruciating for it ever to address, both versions of this episode strongly suggest to me that Ennis's perception of the significance of what the Twists do and say is accurate.  Annie Proulx's statements about her concerns with homophobic violence also seem to me to reinforce this response, as do the ways in which the filmmakers chose to depict the episode."

After that e-mail to us, I wrote to him that I thought everyone should have to take a class called "Point of View 101" which would somehow get teens to understand the elderly, men to understand women, (and vice versa) straights to understand glbtq (and vice/versa.)

Eric Patterson

Eric Patterson replied:

"I agree about the 'Point of View' idea-- it's why I quote Whitman about the necessity of sympathy at the start of the Prologue of my book.  I always ask my students to think about putting themselves in another's place when we consider race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religion.  For example, it would be interesting/useful if Forum readers imagined that if, instead of BBM, we were discussing a story about an interracial het couple.  Imagine that the white man learned information that led him to believe that the black woman he loved had been killed, and perhaps violated; yes, it would be possible to argue that it was ambiguous, that he didn't really know what had happened to her, etc.-- but black readers, knowing the reality of racism, lynching, etc., wouldn't have much doubt about what might have happened, whereas some white readers might feel more comfortable with the position of ambiguity... I think the situation, at least for some gay readers, is similar, vis a vis some straight readers, with BBM"... EP

Join the discussion any time.  The last chapter explores the ideal of "Romantic Love" in our culture, as applied to Brokeback Mountain, and the modern myth of the tragic love story (Romeo and Juliet, Titanic, etc.)  Chapter seven questions are posted in the book club thread.

Gay American Heroes

Gay American Heroes, the traveling monument that memorializes young GLBT persons who have been killed due to their sexual orientation or gender identity, is scheduled to be displayed in the Florida Capitol Rotunda April 28 - the first time a gay-friendly display will be exhibited inside the Florida House of Representatives and Senate, reports Juan Carlos Rodriguez of expressgaynews.

The Gay American Heroes memorial was begun by Scott Hall to honor the lives of young people who were taken from us far too early, assuring that they would not be forgotten.  Learn more about the memorial and the young people it honors HERE.

Our Tech Team

Lovemboys

Retired from Tech team

and Lance, not pictured

Tech Support is vital to the successful running of our on-line community. Here's a sampling of
what our wonderful tech team do behind-the-scenes to make everything go:

Monitor the site for performance issues
Check the server loading and deal with issues that arise
Re-index the database and search for errors regularly
Optimize the database as a whole when required 
Optimize certain tables every few days to try to ensure maximum performance. 
Monitor the threads that request technical assistance and calls from members with technical issues.
Keep the site map/complete list of threads (link in the news box) up to date
Performed the conversion from one serve to the present one.
Forum technological security
Address slowdown issues
Back up data base

Specialty Areas:

Nax just recently completed converting the "Jackie's Friends" thread into a PDF which was used to create a printed book for Jackie's family. The book was just short of 500 pages and virtually all images embedded in the messages had to be manually resized.

BayCityJohn handles the forum financial reporting and maintains the forum's Amazon store.

BrokenOkie is working to reconfigure formatting that was skewed when the forum changed servers.

Lance is on security detail.

Killersmom works to decrease excessive numbers of PMs, our biggest slowdown issue.

(And other responsibilities that were beyond this editor's ability to understand).

The terrific and totally talented tech team traverses tough terrain tackling technological tempests that transpire, turning the trajectory to tip-top transmissions throughout. The team tracks traffic on the threads, teaches through tutorials and tenaciously targets treacherous technological threats. We tip our top hats, turbins, and toupées to the tech team. Take time today for tranquility 'til tomorrow’s technological transgressions take their turn tapping your talents. Together we’re tickled to trumpet a tremendous

Thank you!

Imagine where we would be without such a wonderful tech team!

Computerjokes.net gives us these examples:

Compaq is considering changing the command "Press Any Key" to "Press Return Key" because of the flood of calls asking where the "Any" key is.

A woman called the help desk with a problem with her printer. The tech asked her if she was running it under "Windows." The woman responded, "No, my desk is next to the door. But that is a good point. The man sitting in the cubicle next to me is under a window and his printer is working fine."

Tech Support: "What web browser are you using?"
Customer: "Aren't you my browser?"

Customer: "I am having some problems with my email account."
Tech Support: "Who is your Internet provider?"
Customer: "I am not really sure but I think it's 'You've Got Mail'."

From Rinkworks.com

Did you know?

Does everyone know we have a Happy Birthday thread?  A thread for those who love gardening, or one about the
meaning of Dreams?  Check our "Complete list of threads" in the news box (scroll down) and visit a new thread.

From Royandronnie

BayCityJohn
"I chose my username 24 years ago when I got my first modem. We used a program called CompuServe CB Simulator. Everything was text back in them earlier days. I can remember a lot of nights searching for someone else online. It was a major event IF I ran across 2 other people online at the same time.

"Anyway, I was from Bay City and my name is John.  I thought it would be really cool to combine all 3 words into one, and that's how i came up with 'BayCityJohn.'  Cheesy

KittyHawk
"I adopted the name back in the olden days. It was my CB radio handle and that was when I was getting my pilot's license. Seemed appropriate at the time, so I've just kept it."

Fun Question of the Week

This week’s Question: What do these phrases have in common?
Evil olive
Bar crab
Was it a car or a cat I saw? 
No lemons, no melon
Rise to vote, sir. 

Let us know the answer on the response thread.

Last Week: Name the US presidents who were elected to office without winning the popular vote.

The answer: John Quincy Adams, Rutherford B. Hayes, Benjamin Harrison and George W. Bush .

Exciting New Venture

BayCityJohn, Mouk and a number of others would like to set up a Not-for-Profit Organization/foundation, aimed at protecting and developing the heritage of BBM. Although this initiative is institutionally separate from this forum, it is in the same spirit and in close fraternity with Brokeback Mountain-associated forums. Come find out more on the New Venture thread.

In the What Good Book Have You Read Recently Thread, Rosewood posted:

"Finished reading (stayed up all night, in fact) Michael Gruber's superb book, The Forgery of Venus. All about the machinations of the art world in NYC and Europe, forgery, genius, madness, greed, murder, the meaning of 'greatness', the Old Masters and their techniques, Velazquez in particular.
Can a forgery be as good as the original? Or is that an impossible conceit.

"This is an amazing book filled with characters that come alive in the imagination although one of them, dead for about four hundred years, may or may not be an illusion. I LOVED this book."

Quote of the Day

"If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime."

~ Anonymous ~

By Doodler

Ennis:   I never knew what real happiness was until I got married. And by then it was too late.

Max Kauffmann

Contributors: KittyHawk, BrokenOkie, Doodler, Rosewood, gnash

Calendar of Events

June 1-7, 2008

Brokies in the UK

June 20 - 22nd - Oxford 08

Gathering in Albany NY
July 4-6, 2008

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Today's edition formatted and proofed by denim girl

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.

Stilllearning
Daily Sheet Staff
Obsessed

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 07:20:20 AM »

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Profile: MiralParis7

I found this cute drawing on the Web.
It reminded me of-- aww, you guessed it!

Hello, everyone. My name is Juliette Miral Paris. When I signed up for Live Journal, I used Juliette. When I came to this forum, I used Miral Paris (if you’re a Star Trek-Voyager fan, you may recognize where it comes from). So, I’m JMP for short. I’m a straight woman in my 40’s who lives in the Midwest with my husband (“Tom”) and one black and white cat with a variety of monikers.

I first watched BBM about a year ago. I hadn’t seen the film in the theater because I knew it was going to be a heartbreaker. Cautious but curious, I watched it on DVD backwards and in little fits so I wouldn’t get too emotionally caught up. You can see how successful that was.

I journeyed here shortly after seeing the film and immediately went through fiction therapy (read fan stories with alternative happy endings). When Tom asked about all my BBM-themed screen saver, I introduced him to the film and we watched it together. That was the only time I saw the film straight though. I can barely watch the trailer on You Tube because it’s too powerful. As for those of you who saw the film on the big screen, I don’t know how you managed to walk out of the theater without assistance. Seriously. Now, ask me how often I have seen certain clips on You Tube, and it gets interesting.

My immediate reaction to the film, outside of the obvious, was something I am sure I share with many of you: an immediate crush on one of the actors. The last time I felt that way was when I was 10 years old and wild about Bobby Sherman. Jake and I had a “thing” going until I came to the crushingly painful realization that we were never going to make it as a couple. He did not return my feelings; it was always going to be a one-sided relationship. Since I can’t live on a few average-altitude films two or three times a year, I tearfully quit him. My heart still hurts, though, when I see his picture.

Heath and I had a different type of relationship. With Jake, it was merely physical. What captivated me about Heath was his crazy-ass, caffeinated brain. I could relate to his intensity and creativity. However, I knew we could never make it as a couple, either--I am a staunch non-smoker. So we were just good friends.

In our relationship, Heath did most of the talking. But I was a good listener. Neither Tom nor I could wait until July for his appearance as the Joker in the Dark Knight. I loved his rumbling voice; it made my entire body vibrate. Most nights, I visit him on the Web and cry a bit before I go to sleep. His voice still does me in.

I write self-help books for a living and do more speaking and training about my subject. My hobbies include pondering feminist theories and watching “America’s Next Top Model.” I am a Unitarian Universalist and active in my church.

My time on this forum is spent on the slash fiction thread, as my new all-consuming hobby is reading stories based on the film. I am indebted to the incredibly talented writers who bring Ennis and Jack to life, both in this universe, as sheepherders from Wyoming, and in other universes where they are artist models, truckers, camp counselors, salesmen, assassins, doctors, bikers, high school students, professors, criminals, teachers, painters, prostitutes, airline pilots—plus a bunch more.

I would be a poorer person without this forum because it has unhinged my own creative juices and taken my brain into fiction areas previously marked “off limits.” I am thinking of my own stories that jump off of my own life experiences—if I can figure out how to write them since I only write nonfiction.

One story I am thinking of writing is a prequel to the extremely popular Human Interest fan fic. It is a prequel set in one weekend in 1976 at a college campus. Since the men have had sex, now it’s time for drugs and rock and roll! In the other, Ennis plays a “Log Cabin Republican” type and Jack is a gay activist type. They work at an ad agency with questionable ethics; the date in 1992 when Clinton was running for the White House.

My parents got divorced because one of them figured out he/she was gay. I forgot about that until I was reading a fan fiction story about the impact of the divorce on Ennis’ children. Suddenly I realized, “Hey, that happened to me!”

When I'm not writing, I'm reading.
Just think--everything you've ever read is nothing but 26
random black scratches that we have imbued with meaning.

What do you appreciate the most about this site, what is the most important thing that you have learned as a result of being here? BBM brought me here—but it hasn’t kept me here. I had no idea slash even existed before I saw BBM. I didn’t know that women were the producers and consumers of their own stuff, no middleman required, no need to explain that we are happy to read 20 chapters of PG13 material before the first kiss because we care deeply about the characters, the plot, and the quality of the writing. For me discussing subtext and symbolism is great fun, and to be in a community of others who feel the same way is great.

What famous quote has inspired you? “What you avoid controls you.” I also love, “A luxury, once sampled, becomes a necessity.”

What is the greatest gift that you have received? My brain, and the way it rolls thing around and comes up with things. This is also a horrible curse. I was thinking about a story once and drove around the city twice before I realized it.

Currently reading? Reading, rereading and writing the final chapters of my self-help book, desperate to get the words right. I just turned it in April 19. My life has been on hold for four years, writing it. I am looking forward to an actual life now.

Biggest challenge? Fibromyalgia. Causes a lot of pain and I can’t exercise at all like I would love to.

Your perfect day? Anywhere in nature on a beautiful day. This summer I am going to volunteer at a kid’s overnight camp for two months so I can be outside in a tent. I have been wanting this desperately since I saw the film and lusted as much after the mountains as the men.

If you could take a class on something that interests you, what would it be and why? History! I want to find out more about the early Romans, the Borg of their time, and how so many languages have the same root words.

First job? Shelving books in a library. Now, is that a coincidence or WHUT?

What was your most embarrassing experience or the strangest situation that you found yourself in? I was at the American Book Association national convention many years ago and saw porn star Annie Sprinkle, the Chicken Soup for the Soul guys, and romance novel model Fabio during one three-minute walk.  There were tons of women lined up to get their photo taken with Fabio, who must have had his own book out. This tells you everything you need to know about the publishing industry today.

I had another strange moment at another convention—a mortgage banker’s convention. Jimmy Buffet was playing his music, doing his Margaritaville, and no one was paying the least bit of attention because they were too busy doing deals.

Fannie Mae , the gargantuan government-sponsored enterprise, opened up the Tavern on the Green in Central Park to all who attended, where people could get all they want of every kind of alcoholic beverage currently in existence, including Romulan Ale. I think this tells you everything you need to know about the mortgage business in the 1990s.

Other than BBM, what movie has impacted you the most?  Why? I love Almost Famous. The music, the story, the acting are perfection. I love the Lester Bangs quote, “The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.”

What's one thing that you just can't stand, so you're trying to help fix it? I started writing books to shed light on a little known problem that was contributing to the verbal and emotional abuse of children. No one knew very much about this problem, and I couldn’t find any information about it—not even on the Internet. So I made it my life’s mission to do so. Today, information about this topic has exploded. I am proud to have been part of it.

Are you more like Jack or Ennis? Why? I’m a Jack married to an Ennis. Except Ennis is more sociable.

Your favorite BBM scene? Aside from the sexy scenes?  My favorite scene is actually a favorite shot: it’s the shot at the fireworks with Cowboy Ennis in the foreground with Alma huddled with the kids to the right and back a ways. Would love to know what other people think it means. I know there is a thread; I just have to find it.

What was your take-away message from BBM? 
The artistry of the people who were involved in making it, especially Ang Lee and Heath Ledger.

In college, I majored in film studies. I am just awed at what Ang Lee did with the poetry of his shots. I wish I had time to spend deconstructing the film. But I only saw it once!

I don’t think I’ll ever get over the fact that Heath didn’t win the Oscar. You can keep finding nuances in his performance. His acting inspires my writing. I will try to do what he did—inhabit each character—and let them tell their stories.

Cowboy Adam in China: Walking in Heath's Memory

The Great Wall of China walk is now in its final stages, with Adam staying strong and pushing toward the final goal - raising the funds necessary to build a breast cancer treatment and research facility. Visit the Support Adam's Great Walk to Beijing in Memory of Heath thread where you'll be able to leave Adam a note of encouragement and find out details about the walk which concludes Tuesday, April 29th. Click HERE to become a sponsor; all funds raised by Adam will be donated in Heath's name to this worthy cause.

Click HERE to view a YouTube video developed by Adam and his friend Neil for the Ultimate Brokeback Forum.

Adam with co-author Neil McMahon and Olivia Newton-John

Ang Lee  - Making a Difference

On Creative Freedom

By BayCityJohn

In a CBC News article Ang Lee, while addressing young filmmakers in Vancouver, spoke out against Canadian Bill C-10, saying it would restrict free speech. "Lee urged the filmmakers to fight the bill, which has been passed by the House of Commons and is before the Senate."

"Bill C-10 would deny tax credits to Canadian films the federal government deems unacceptable, though foreign films made in Canada would not be affected. 'People should be free to say anything,' said Lee, adding that the bill would have the effect of censoring films." Lee pointed out that he was not censored in making Brokeback Mountain.

Heritage Minister Josee Verner said Lee's statements were "completely erroneous. Our government is determined to ensure freedom of expression and will continue to support the production of entertaining and high quality content. We are reaching out to industry to work with them on Bill C-10. Together, we will find the best solution for the industry, for Canadian citizens and taxpayers."

The film industry is battling against this provision.

Lee's Next Film ~ Gay-themed Woodstock Memoir

“Ang Lee is again teaming with Focus Features CEO James Schamus to direct the gay-themed Woodstock memoir Taking Woodstock. Focus will produce and Schamus will adapt Elliot Tiber's 2007 book, Taking Woodstock: A True Story of a Riot, a Concert, and a Life. It centers on the colorful life of a Greenwich Village-based interior designer and part-time Catskills hotel manager who headed the Bethel, N.Y., Chamber of Commerce. He issued the permit for the legendary 1969 concert on his neighbor Max Yasgur's farm;" this from Gregg Goldstein of The HollywoodReporter.

Elliot Tiber, shown at left

Real Cowboys

In a New York Times article, Randy Kennedy tells us that Photographer Robb Kendrick, "a Texan inspired by his roots," travels through North America visiting places where people still herd cattle for a living; in other words, where there are still real cowboys.

Mr. Kendrick photographs local cowboys using a wooden box camera and portable field darkroom which were "patented and popularized at a time when the idea of the American cowboy was itself just being created."  Kendrick thinks of himself not as simply making pictures but also as taking part in the world of the cowboys.

Kendrick has recently published Still: Cowboys at the Start of the Twenty-First Century, a new collection of 148 tintype portraits. "The pictures — made by exposing and developing the metal plates after they have been coated with a light-sensitive solution of silver nitrate — are a kind of ideal meeting of subject and style. Many of the cowboys pine to have been born in the 19th century. And the tintypes, with their sepia tones, blurred peripheries and ghostly aura, take the cowboys back to the era when such photographs were taken by traveling commercial photographers."

Interested in cowboys?  Then we have a thread just for you -- Cowboy Up! Favorite Cowboy Pics

To buy a copy of Still: Cowboys at the Start of the Twenty-First Century, click here:

China's Anti-Gay Crackdown

"The wave of repression and intimidation of human rights activists and dissidents in China in advance of the Beijing Olympics (summer 2008) has also targeted homosexuals, according to China's best-known gay and AIDS activist.

"In an email, Dr. Wan Yanhai reported that the month of March saw numerous police raids on gay gathering spots in Beijing and Shanghai, and he said that the evidence of a new pre-Olympic crackdown on gays is so widespread it is clear it is being orchestrated "at the national level;" this reported by Doud Ireland in gaycitynews.com.

Shhhhhh!

By BayCityJohn

"The National Day of Silence brings attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. This year’s event will be held in memory of Lawrence King, a California 8th-grader who was shot and killed Feb. 12 by a classmate because of his sexual orientation and gender expression. Hundreds of thousands of students will came together on April 25 to encourage schools and classmates to address the problem of anti-LGBT behavior. Learn more about this campaign, and the Four Truths About the Day of Silence at dayofsilence.

Costume Design and the del Mar Wedding

In a recent interview with the Calgary Herald costume designer Devora Brown gives us some interesting tid-bits of information about costume work she did for Brokeback Mountain.

"My favourite costume from a show was from Brokeback Mountain. The scene where Heath (Ledger) and Michelle (Williams) get married. Heath is wearing blue jeans and a suit jacket, and his best man is wearing the matching trousers of the two-piece suit. It is such lovely attention to detail."

When Brown was asked about a favorite wardrobe piece that she inherited through her work, she responded, "I have a few pieces from Brokeback Mountain that are dear to my heart. A shirt that Annie Hathaway wore and a pair of cowboy boots."

Sounds like a Brokie through and through.

Advertising: The Gay Market

CommercialCloset.org is an online storehouse of "mainstream corporate advertising with direct references to GLBT people or a GLBT theme. Recognizing their "incredible power to affect how the GLBT community is perceived," these ads are ranked positive, equal, caution, or negative according to how they depict homosexuality.

"The project also comprehensively tracks (but does not rate) print and Internet ads in gay media and there are a handful of parody commercials from shows like 'Saturday Night Live' and 'MadTV.'

Click HERE to watch some of these ads.

7-11

John Stamos for MCI

Anna Faris' Next Role: House Bunny

Columbia Pictures has released the new trailer for the Anna Faris comedy The House Bunny, opening in theaters on August 22.

"In the film, Playboy Bunny Shelley Darlington (Faris) is living a carefree life until a rival gets her tossed out of the Playboy Mansion. With nowhere to go, fate delivers her to the sorority girls from Zeta Alpha Zeta. Unless they can sign a new pledge class, the seven socially clueless women will lose their house to the scheming girls of Phi Iota Mu. In order to accomplish their goal, they need Shelley to teach them the ways of makeup and men; at the same time, Shelley needs some of what the Zetas have – a sense of individuality. The combination leads all the girls to learn how to stop pretending and start being themselves," writes Comingsoon.net.

PopSugar.com tell us that, "Reese Witherspoon had an armful of coffee walking around LA on Thursday with a German shepherd. Of course, that's not just any dog — Reese was babysitting Jake's furry buddy, Atticus, while he's off in South Carolina shooting Nailed."

The Pets Thread and Pets Pictures

Join Paddy, Alton and Dakota over in the pet thread, where there are some beautiful pictures of hummingbirds and other furry friends:

Paddy

Dakota

Alton

© 2008 Jeff Topping. All Rights Reserved.

Quote of the Day

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

~ Cowboy Proverb  ~

By Ministering Angel

Cigar Butt (huffily): So much for Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy.

Contributors: KittyHawk, TellYouwhat, Mouk, BrokenOkie,
BayCityJohn, Tfferg, Ministering Angel, Paddy, Dakota, Alton

Calendar of Events

June 1-7, 2008.

Brokies in the UK

Gathering in Albany NY
July 4-6, 2008

Today's edition formatted and proofed by gnash

Stilllearning
Daily Sheet Staff
Obsessed

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 05:53:54 AM »

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Adam's Walk: The Final Day
Tuesday, April 29th marks the final day of Adam's "Great Walk to Beijing" with all funds raised donated in Heath Ledger's name to the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Center. In an effort to raise as much financial support as possible for breast cancer research and treatment, Adam is offering these opportunities:

A free signed copy of his book Say It Out Loud 

A Swag (treasure chest of goodies) which also includes Adam's signed book among other gifts.
(both based on donation amount)

For all the details click HERE.

Say It Out Loud   
by Adam Sutton/Neil McMahon
The Journey of a Real Cowboy

Book Description: "When Heath Ledger finished reading the script for Brokeback Mountain he said to his friend Adam Sutton, 'I've just read this script and it sounds a lot like you.' He was right: Adam's own life was reflected in many of the film's themes. Adam's story appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald saying 'Meet Heath's mate, the real gay cowboy,' and thousands did."

The book follows his "extraordinary and unlikely journey from the world of cowboys, rodeos and stereotypes, to Hollywood and, finally, to self-acceptance."

Forum Member Personalizes BBM in Weekend Performance

Forum member and prior moderator BrokebackLJ posts in the How Brokeback Affected Me thread: "Hey Everybody! I just wanted to let you all know about my senior year final project before I graduate. Taken from my own experiences, I came up with LJ Regine is Brokeback Mountain. It begins as a one man show, where I attempt to interpret Brokeback Mountain. Then, suddenly, a bunch of my friends stop me and attempt to tell the story of my life and my own struggles, which I eventually help in doing, through the use of musical numbers. It starts out all very serious and dramatic and turns into a funny, campy, look at a young gay man growing up in the 21st Century. I'm really excited about it and wanted to invite whomever was around New York City to come check it out this weekend. Here is the info.  I hope to see some of you there!"

Here We Are Everybody! Productions
in association with Lang Senior Work
present

LJ Regine is Brokeback Mountain
A One Man Show

Written and Performed by LJ Regine
Directed by Mary Ann Hedderson

Saturday and Sunday May 3rd and 4th, 8:00 pm
The Richmond Shepard Theatre
209 East 26th Street (b/t 2nd and 1st Ave)
$7 Student/$10 General Admission

Please contact BrokebackLJ with any questions.

Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film
By BayCityJohn

And he would wake sometimes in grief, sometimes
with the old sense of joy and release; the pillow
sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets.
(graphic by ChrisFewa; caption by DCLuke.)

A Recent Review

In the Lavender Notes, the official Newsletter of the Lavender Seniors, our forum's book BEYOND BROKEBACK The Impact of a Film received another stellar review from Frank Howell:

"Many noted films come and go in Hollywood, but after a few years the memory of such movies fade in the minds of avid fans. But Brokeback Mountain has lingered in the minds of many hardcore and loyal moviegoers. The untimely death of Heath Ledger at the tender age of twenty-eight has highlighted the memory of that landmark film.

"Thanks to the emergence of the Internet and web site addresses, the emotional reactions of thousands of men and women, gay and straight, worldwide, have been gathered together and shared with us. Dave Cullen of Denver, Colorado is the prime inspiration for this amazing project. The book is overflowing with deeply personal stories and testimonials of people who were deeply affected after viewing Brokeback Mountain."

"One filmgoer wrote: 'I don't want to get over it. I love the fact that this film made me sad. I love that it stirred up feelings I haven’t felt in a long time.' (This is a woman’s reaction).

From the poetry section:

"I've come to know Ennis and Jack.
They've shown me a life that I lack.
Sometimes I resist."

"Let us hope that Brokeback mavens will continue to share their intimate thoughts as time goes on. Heath would have loved it!"

Excerpts From BEYOND BROKEBACK:

Brokeback provided us with a language of loss that we all could understand. Brokeback hit us directly in the heart and ripped our protective layers to shreds. It left us vulnerable and raw, but also alive. Brokeback can not give meaning or purpose to our lives, but it has exposed the need, shown us that we may have lost our direction and we need to reclaim it.
~ Boris ~

In a conversation with a friend, “I blurted out, ‘I can’t get it out of my soul.’ Right then I knew it had its hold on me, that my life wasn’t ever going to be the same. For it was true: I could not let go of it. Even though during some long days I didn’t want to think about the movie, it was there in my mind, tugging at my heart, wanting to be let in. What could I do but succumb to it?”
~ Lyle ~

To learn more about our book, visit the Beyond Brokeback site.

Click here to purchase the book: 

Annie Proulx at the PEN Festival
By BayCityJohn

The fourth annual PEN World Voices Festival of International Literature will be held April 29th - May 5th, and "this year’s theme of Public Lives/Private Lives couldn't be more timely.

"How do we draw a line between our private and public selves? When must we tell private stories for the public good?

"How, as readers, writers, and citizens, do we confront threats to our privacy? What is still considered private in the Internet age? Do we need to redefine the meaning of public and private in the 21st century? The writers in this year’s Festival will mine this rich theme in a variety of literary conversations, panels, readings, and performances."

Appearing Wednesday, April 30, from 8–9:30 p.m. at The Town Hall, 123 West 43rd St. NY, NY will be Coral Bracho, Peter Esterhazy, Rian Malan, Ian McEwan, Michael Ondaatje, Francine Prose,  Annie Proulx, Evelyn Schlag, and A.B. Yehoshua.

Stephen Gyllenhaal
An interview with his publisher

In a David Herrle interview with Cantara Christopher, publisher of Stephen Gyllenhaal’s collection of poetry entitled Claptrap: Notes From Hollywood, Cantara says of director and author:

"Stephen has many admirable qualities; he’s loyal, trustworthy and generous, a devoted family man and, incredibly for someone whose livelihood has been at the mercy of the Hollywood system for nearly thirty years, free of cynicism. He’s also stimulating to be around – young people are inspired by him, men are intrigued and women tend to go all gooey. I think this is because he exudes that spirit of Eros, that generative, creative force an artist is especially steeped in when he’s at the beginning of a project. In this case Stephen’s project is his own life.

“When his son Jake declares in an interview, ‘I know a man in his fifties who’s just starting to discover himself,’ he’s talking about Stephen. As I say this can be very stimulating to be around but, on the down side, my dear author’s creative cauldron is almost always overflowing and, like other immensely creative people, he has trouble focusing on a single project and seeing it through to completion.”

Click HERE to learn how Stephen Gyllenhaal’s poetry came to be published by Cantarabooks and more on his work in Hollywood.

Cracks in the Glass Closet

"Does being a powerful gay in showbiz still involve refusing to say you’re 'that way'? Maybe, but not as much as a year ago. In the May 2007 issue of Out, the 'glass closet' story detailed how some big names like Jodie Foster and Anderson Cooper continued to live everyday gay lives while adamantly refusing to come out on the record. This is opposed to closet-free ones lived by Lance Bass and Rosie O’Donnell; reports Michael Musto of Out.com.

More recently there seems to be cracks in the glass closet, as evidenced by David Hyde-Pierce and Jodi Foster mentioning their 'partners' in recent interviews, and Foster, three months later, saying “my beautiful Cydney, who sticks with me through all the rotten and the bliss” when receiving an award at the Women in Entertainment Power 100 event.

As for their careers after offering a low-key coming out: "Hyde-Pierce ended up winning a Tony, and Foster nabbed a Golden Globe nomination.

"Still, Foster’s 'casual' comment was pretty explosive, reflecting the changing landscape of Hollywood closeting, while helping push it forward. It seemed like a move that could only happen in the post-Ellen and -Brokeback era. Things have certainly advanced since the early ’90s."

Christian TV Personality Comes Out

Azariah Southworth, host of The Remix, a popular Christian youth show, announced today that he has come out; reports Brent Meredith of Outandabout.

“This has been a long time coming. I’m in a place where I’m at peace with my faith, friends, family and more importantly myself. I know this will end my career in Christian television, but I must now live my life openly and honestly with everyone. This is my reason for doing this,” Southworth says.

"Southworth has been hosting and producing the popular Christian TV show, The Remix for a year and a half. It is in syndication and can be seen in more than 128 million homes worldwide. It averages more than 200,000 viewers weekly on one of three networks. The show has featured many major Christian acts.

"Southworth has been featured in national publications such as Charisma Magazine says, 'I know I will be cut off from many within the Christian community, and if so, then they didn’t get the point of the life of Christ. I believe by me living my life honestly and authentically now, I am able to be a better person and a better Christian. We all know there are so many other gay people in the Christian industry; they’re just all scared. I was scared, but now I’m no longer afraid,' notes Southworth."

Around the Forum

Slash Discussion thread - fiftyandfifty have started a new Jack and Ennis story, Book of Dreams came to an end and we anxiously await the Zero at the Bone finale.

Primary Season thread - the candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination has still not been decided, with Obama and Clinton each now looking to the primaries in Indiana and North Carolina on May 6th to solidify their positions for the nomination.

Last Scene - "I Swear" -  they're discussing: "Hypothetically, if he (Ennis) could go back in time - would he still stand it rather than fix it?

New Venture by BayCityJohn and Mouk to perpetuate the spirit of Brokeback Mountain.

PDF files of TDS.

Member Profile Index.

”211 days, 14 hours, 45 minutes, and 45 seconds”

“That’s how long it had been since As the World Turns had shown its two gay teen characters, Luke Snyder (Van Hansis) and Noah Mayer (Jake Silbermann) kissing;" reports Michael Jensen of Afterelton.com. "That is until April 23rd, when the two shared a surprisingly steamy kisses."

Daytime television’s only gay couple last kissed on September 26, 2007. Since then, heterosexual couples have shared many kisses, but Luke and Noah were not seen kissing under the mistletoe at Christmas, for New Years, or on Valentine's day.

"After the February Valentine’s Day episode, a group of fans launched a media blitz that led to worldwide publicity over fans’ demands that the characters be allowed to kiss. The campaign led to major coverage on CNN, BBC, FOX, and in newspapers nationwide."

From Royandronnie

Wild_Mountainside

My username is from a Trashcan Sinatra’s song called "Wild Mountainside". 
The song very much evokes BBM for me.

Wild Mountainside
Lyric by: John Douglas

Beauty is within grasp
Hear the islands call
The last mile is upon us
I'll carry you if you fall
I know the armour's heavy now
I know the heart is tired
It's beautiful just over
The wild mountainside

Snow is falling all over
Out of clear blue sky
Crow is flying high over
You and I are going to wander
High up where the air is rare
Wild horses ride
It's beautiful, let's go over
The wild mountainside

Wild and free we roam
Only a mile to go

Wild and free we roam
Only a mile to go

Beauty is within grasp
Hear the highlands call
The last mile is upon us
I'll carry you if you fall
I know the armour's heavy now
I know the heart inside
It's beautiful let's go over
The wild mountainside
It's beautiful just roaming
The wild mountainside

Click HERE for a youtube video with the song.

Never Grows Old
From BBM Fan Art

By Pat Sinnott ~ Originally posted September 9, 2006     Redlined It All The Way

By gnash ~ Originally posted October 7, 2006

By Janie-G ~ Originally posted January 8, 2007 

New Board Announcement - Hot Topics has moved!

The Primary Season 'Hot Topic' thread, previously located within Meet Your Neighbors, has been relocated to our new Hot Topics board, which is located just below Forum News & Updates.

Fun Question of the Week

This week’s Question: A math puzzler:

1. Key in the first three digits of your phone number (NOT the Area code)
2. Multiply by 80
3. Add 1
4. Multiply by 250
5. Add the last 4 digits of your phone number (Example: if the last 4 digits are 1234, add 1,234)
6. Add the last 4 digits of your phone number again.
7. Subtract 250
8. Divide number by 2.

Do you recognize the answer?

Let us know the answer on the response thread.

Last Week: What do these phrases have in common?
Evil olive
Bar crab
Was it a car or a cat I saw? 
No lemons, no melon
Rise to vote, sir. 

The answer: Ya' all are too good!  Yes they are all palindromes - yea for nova and goaboydc. We'll have to research Fritzkep's Napoleon angle though.  Wink

Tfmisc posts: "The little I know about yin / yang I learned online, but it seems to me that there are some pretty clear resonances of the balanced opposites concept in Jack and Ennis's relationship."

From Wikipedia:

Yin ("shady place, north slope, south bank (river); cloudy, overcast") qualities are characterized as passive, dark, feminine, negative, downward-seeking, consuming and corresponds to the night.

Yang ("sunny place, south slope, north bank (river), sunshine") qualities are characterized as active, light, masculine, positive, upward-seeking, producing and corresponds to the daytime.

From Encyclopedia Galactica:

Yin / Yang
"shady side of mountain" / "sunlit side of mountain"
broken line / unbroken line
earth / heaven
dark / light
yielding / hard
electron cloud / atomic nucleus
feminine / masculine
warm / cold
square / round

Visit the symbolism thread and discuss how these themes might be applied to Jack and Ennis' relationship, and see Tfmisc's thoughts on this.

Quote of the Day

You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

~ Salvador Dali  ~

By Tfmisc

Jack: I want us to have the sweet life in a little cow-and-calf operation,
and you want to protect us from what can happen when two men ranch up together.
If only there were some succinct way to symbolize our complementary natures…

Contributors: Tfmisc, BayCityJohn, Kittyhawk, Jack, BrokenOkie, gnash, Denin girl.   

Calendar of Events

June 1-7, 2008.

Brokies in the UK

Gathering in Albany NY
July 4-6, 2008

Today's edition formatted and proofed by whiplash

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 02:12:38 PM by Stilllearning » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

go to The Ultimate Brokeback Guide go to The Ultimate Brokeback Cafe Press Collection Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines go to The Ultimate Brokeback Amazon Collection