The Ultimate Brokeback Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 11:53:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
ULTIMATE BROKEBACK GUIDE
Our obsessive guide to the heartbreaking yet oddly universal story of two gay cowboys in love

Meet the authors and volunteers who put together "Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film" and order your book.
* Home Help Login Register
+  davecullen.com forums
|-+  ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
| |-+  Books, Periodicals & Literature (Moderator: Ellen (tellyouwhat))
| | |-+  Larry McMurtry
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Larry McMurtry  (Read 41191 times)
michaelflanagansf
Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
Team Cullen
Obsessed

« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2010, 02:02:59 PM »

Future of Books and Reading
Jan 21, 2009

Pulitzer Prize-winning talked about the future of reading and books. Mr. McMurtry said that in his bookstores people buy books for "imaginative reasons," not for information. He believes book culture is dying and won't come back. He ended his presentation by reading two Philip Larkin poems, and then he responded to audience members' questions. This Friends of Fondren Library Distinguished Guest Lecture was held in the Grand Hall of Rice University Memorial Center.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/283512-1#

I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer
Nikki
Ephemera
Obsessed

Never enough time, never enough

« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2010, 11:24:01 AM »

Future of Books and Reading
Jan 21, 2009

Pulitzer Prize-winning talked about the future of reading and books. Mr. McMurtry said that in his bookstores people buy books for "imaginative reasons," not for information. He believes book culture is dying and won't come back. He ended his presentation by reading two Philip Larkin poems, and then he responded to audience members' questions. This Friends of Fondren Library Distinguished Guest Lecture was held in the Grand Hall of Rice University Memorial Center.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/283512-1#

This was very interesting, Michael.  McMurtry is so wry in his esponses, I love his humor.

The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!
michaelflanagansf
Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
Team Cullen
Obsessed

« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »

This was very interesting, Michael.  McMurtry is so wry in his esponses, I love his humor.

He's great - and his perspective is very interesting as he is not only a writer but an antiquarian bookseller.  What he had to say about that business (and how few large booksellers of this sort there are now) is eyeopening - and his comments about libraries were pertinent too.

I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer
BayCityJohn
Obsessed

« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2011, 03:33:50 PM »

Larry McMurtry is one of the great American writers but after multiple health problems he has turned his focus to book selling.

ALI MOORE, PRESENTER: He's one of the greats of American literature.

From cowboy adventures to love stories, Larry McMurtry has brought countless characters vividly to life and his work has powerfully captured the American frontier.

And now in his 70s, after a heart attack, quadruple bypass surgery and a bout of deep depression, the writer has focused on his other love, bookselling.

Larry McMurtry gave a rare television interview to North America correspondent Jane Cowan.

JANE COWAN, REPORTER: A place where you can feel like the only soul alive. That's how Larry McMurtry's described his hometown.

Do you have affection for Archer City?

LARRY MCMURTRY, WRITER: Not a lot. I don't. It is (inaudible). You should see it in mid-winter; it's just as bleak as it is right now.

JANE COWAN: But if Archer City's bleak, it's provided plenty of fodder for a writer's imagination.

But at 75, Larry McMurtry is still here, in a sprawling ranch house filled with books, a virtual graveyard of burnt-out typewriters and reminders of a career he's loath to admit has been brilliant.

LARRY MCMURTRY: I'm a minor original novelist. That's not a bad thing. It's not self-deprecating. Because most writers are minor.

video and more

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-10/larry-mcmurtry-focuses-on-new-horizons/3463912

Once a virgin, always a virgin
Lyle (Mooska)
Obsessed

« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2011, 06:40:42 PM »

PRESS RELEASE from AMPAS today:

Academy to Celebrate 40th Anniversary of "The Last Picture Show"

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2011/20111027.html

Beverly Hills, CA (October 27, 2011) – The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will present a new digitally restored "Definitive Director’s Cut" of "The Last Picture Show," in celebration of the film’s 40th anniversary, on Thursday, November 17, at 7:30 p.m. at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills. The movie will be followed by an onstage cast and crew reunion with guests including director Peter Bogdanovich and actresses Cybill Shepherd and Cloris Leachman.

Adapted by Larry McMurtry and Bogdanovich from McMurtry’s 1966 novel, "The Last Picture Show" is an atmospheric character study that launched the careers of a remarkable group of young actors (including Shepherd, Jeff Bridges, Timothy Bottoms and Randy Quaid) and greatly influenced a generation of prominent directors.

Set in the fading West Texas town of Anarene in the early 1950s, the film combines a poignant coming-of-age tale with a bittersweet appraisal of Anarene’s discontented adults. As the only movie theater in town goes out of business, Anarene’s high school seniors grapple with conflicting feelings about sex, friendship and responsibility, and the adults reflect on their unfulfilled lives.

The film’s nostalgic appeal is heightened by Robert Surtees’ black-and-white cinematography, Polly Platt’s production design and an innovative use of period music. The picture garnered eight Oscar® nominations, including Actor in a Supporting Role (Ben Johnson, Bridges), Actress in a Supporting Role (Leachman, Ellen Burstyn), Cinematography (Surtees), Directing (Bogdanovich), Best Picture (Stephen J. Friedman, producer), and Writing – Screenplay based on material from another medium (McMurtry, Bogdanovich), with Johnson and Leachman earning statuettes for their performances.

The "Definitive Director’s Cut" includes scenes reinstated or re-edited by Bogdanovich for the 2000 DVD and theatrical re-release. This digital version is courtesy of Sony Pictures and the Academy Film Archive.

Nikki
Ephemera
Obsessed

« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »

We discussed 'Last Picture Show' in the book discussion a few years back.  It's probably in the archives.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Ellen (tellyouwhat)
Proulx 101
Global Moderator
Obsessed

resist the corporate Taliban

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2012, 02:31:15 PM »

I'm cross posting this from the 6th Anniversary thread, because I have been meaning to get it uploaded to post here forever, finally got it done today!

This past summer, I visited Archer City with a writing group -- that is Larry McMurtry's hometown -- he still lives there.

He keeps his Brokeback Oscar and Golden Globe award at the Lonesome Dove Inn, and we were allowed to photograph them.

I wuz really there!  and I touched the Oscar, too!  Grin

sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty
Nikki
Ephemera
Obsessed

« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »

How interesting, Ellen!  I wish I could have been there.  I've loved McMurtry ever since I read Lonesome Dove.  Is the inn a B&B?

Ellen (tellyouwhat)
Proulx 101
Global Moderator
Obsessed

« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »

How interesting, Ellen!  I wish I could have been there.  I've loved McMurtry ever since I read Lonesome Dove.  Is the inn a B&B?

Yes, it is!  The owner said sometimes Larry McM stays there just because he likes the ambiance (and probably, the breakfast) rather than staying in his own house.  Although now that he's married, he might stay in his house more often. 

sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty
Lyle (Mooska)
Obsessed

« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »

^^^^^^

Or maybe more!

I, too, like those photos alot!
Ellen (tellyouwhat)
Proulx 101
Global Moderator
Obsessed

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »

thx Nikki and Lyle!  I didn't expect to see Oscar, it was quite a surprise, and I only had my iphone to take the shot.

Smiley

Heath4Ever
Whippin' babies
Obsessed

WHERE THE BLUEBIRDS SING & THERE'S A WHISKY SPRING

« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2014, 12:11:51 PM »

Recently read the volume of autobiography written by Larry McMurtry, "Hollywood".  Not a very long book and full of priceless gems about the Hollywood 'system'.  Quite easy to dip in and out of.  What a 'wise old bird' he is!

Was particularly interested to read Mr McMurtry's comments about Brokeback Mountain.  Unfortunately he does not say much but this is intentional, he says, because he feels his writing partner Diana Ossana should have the first option to write fully on the subject one day.

A nice little teaser for us?

He slept a summer by my side, He filled my days with endless wonder.
He took my childhood in his stride, But he was gone when autumn came.
And still I dream he'll come to me, That we will live the years together.
But there are dreams that cannot be, And there are storms we cannot weather.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

go to The Ultimate Brokeback Guide go to The Ultimate Brokeback Cafe Press Collection Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines go to The Ultimate Brokeback Amazon Collection